Every year on March 25, the anniversary of the Downfall of Sauron, the Tolkien Society hosts Tolkien Reading Day. This year’s theme is Home and Hearth: The Many Ways of Being a Hobbit. The primary goal is to promote the reading of the works of J.R R. Tolkien! To celebrate, Pages Unbound will be hosting two weeks of Tolkien-related posts. In addition to our own thoughts, we will be featuring a number of guest posts!
- March 22: Schedule and Introduction Post
- March 23: “16 of Tolkien’s Most Badass Women”
- March 24: “‘I Sit Beside the Fire and Think’–Hearth, Home, and Hobbits” (Guest Post by Tom Hillman)
- March 25: Review of Tolkien: A Biography by Michael White
- March 26: “Gender Roles in Middle-Earth” (Guest Post by Ley)
- March 27: Review of Letters from Father Christmas by J. R. R. Tolkien
- … “The Silmarillion: A Reader’s Guide” (Guest Post by Linda White)
- March 28: “10 Reasons You Should Not Skip the Lord of the Rings Appendices”
- March 29: Review of Mr. Bliss by J. R. R. Tolkien
- March 30: “My Tolkien Collection” (Guest Post by Bridget)“
- March 31: “10 Awesome Characters from The Lord of the Rings That the Movies Forgot”
- April 1: Review of John Ronald’s Dragons by Caroline McAlister
- April 2: Review of Middle-Earth: From Script to Screen (Guest Post by Samantha)
- April 3: “10 Misconceptions about J. R. R. Tolkien and His Work”
- April 4: “5 Favorite Quotes from Tolkien’s The Hobbit” (Guest Post by Rachel)
Use the hashtag #TolkienEvent18 to follow our event and share your thoughts on Tolkien!
Follow our Instagram account for Tolkien-themed photos.
More Tolkien Resources
If you can’t wait for this year’s Tolkien posts, you can check out what we’ve done with past Tolkien Reading Celebrations here.
*LotR clip art is from CuteGraphicSupply on Etsy.