Top Ten Tuesdays is a meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. This week was a freebie so I chose the category of musicals based on books!
- Les Mis: My favorite musical of all time for its dramatic story and score. Based on the novel by Victor Hugo.
- The Phantom of the Opera: Honestly, I think Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical is better than Gaston Leroux’s book.
- Hamilton: Inspired by Chernow’s biography of Alexander Hamilton.
- A Tale of Two Cities: Charles Dickens’s novel did get the musical treatment, though I often find people surprised to learn this.
- Tarzan: The music is so catchy. I want to sing all the songs!
- The Scarlet Pimpernel: I like Baroness Orczy’s novel a little better, but I still appreciate the music.
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame: I read somewhere Disney was going to make this into a Broadway show? Their movie version is so incredibly dramatic (though less so than Hugo’s book, I suppose) and I wish they had. “God Help the Outcasts” is one of my favorite Disney songs and a complete surprise coming from them.
- The Sound of Music: Maybe it’s not quite like the story Maria Von Trapp wrote, but it’s still moving and full of excellent music.
- Notre Dame de Paris: It’s in French and I don’t understand the words, but I still love it.
- A Very Potter Musical: Fan creativity never ceases to astound me.