Armchair BEA is an event created to allow bloggers who are unable to attend BEA in person participate in BEA from home. Check out the website for more information!
The Prompt: Blogging 101. All kinds of tips and tricks to get you started or keep you going. Talk about ARCs, reviewing in general, web design, etc. What blogging platform do you use? How do you network? What are some of your favorite web designs? Or maybe you want to talk about your own blogging journey, and how you got to where you are now. Either way, we want you to share your knowledge with the rest of the community!
How to Review Like a Professional
I’ve done a few internships in the publishing industry now, for both publishing houses and literary agencies, so today I’m going to share with you some of the questions literary agents and editors have asked me to consider when I reviewed submitted manuscripts for them! The list isn’t comprehensive, but you can try incorporating some of these questions into your own review process, if you don’t already!
- What is working in the book? What can be improved? How could these areas be improved?
- Is there enough character development? Is it believable?
- If this is fantasy, how good is the world building? If this is science fiction, does it sound believable? Will hardcore science fiction fans be satisfied with the level of detail?
- What is the voice like? Does the voice match the character and the story? Is it too young or too old?
- How is the pacing? What percentage of the story is character development? What percentage is plot action?
- What is the major conflict? Is it satisfying? Do previous events clearly lead up to it?
- Who would like this book? What genres would they like? What other authors would they like?
- Do you recommend this book?