Top Ten Tuesdays is a meme hosted by the Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is
Top Ten All-Time Favorite Authors
1. J. R. R. Tolkien: A lot of fantasy authors have tried to imitate him, but none has matched him.
2. C. S. Lewis: Reading Lewis is like talking to a friend.
3. William Shakespeare: Whatever you want to read, Shakespeare seems to have.
4. Dante Alighieri: His imagination and daring never cease to amaze me.
5. L. M. Montgomery: Her character descriptions, depictions of nature, lovely friendships–it’s all perfect.
6. Charles Dickens: How does he manage to mix gritty social commentary with sometimes cloying sentiment and make it work?
7. Chaim Potok: He’s best known for The Chosen, but my favorite book of his is My Name Is Asher Lev.
8. N. D. Wilson: He’s possibly my favorite living fantasy author and one whose work deserves more attention that it gets. My favorite of his works is The Dragon’s Tooth, which follows a boy and his sister as they join an ancient order of explorers.
9. Louisa May Alcott: One of my favorite authors growing up, Alcott holds a special place in my heart.
10. Jane Austen: Darcy and Elizabeth? Emma and Knightley? So many great couples!