- Martin Freeman is wonderful as Bilbo and remarkably expressive.
- Gollum is both cute and frightening.
- Richard Armitage is an imposing, heroic, and rather handsome Thorin.
- Most of the dwarves do successfully build their own personalities. A few may get more time in later films.
- Quotes from the novel are successfully incorporated.
- There are lots of great nods to The Lord of the Rings movies.
- There is enough background given for viewers who have not read the book.
- The film is gorgeous. (Though there were a few beginning scenes where I found it hard to find something in focus to look at.)
- The score is impressive.
- Minor changes made sense. A few major changes made less sense, but I can live with them.
- The movie is the perfect mix of comical and epic. It retains the spirit of the novel, while matching the tone of The Lord of the Rings movies.
- I am impressed.